Our FlowingData community went up from 2,641 subscribers last month to about 4,100, so more than a third of you are new. Welcome (and thanks to the those of you who have obviously been spreading the word :). As a new reader, you might not know where to begin, so let me show you around.
Best of All Time
The best place to start - the most popular FlowingData posts since the first one in mid-2007:
- 17 Ways to Visualize the Twitter Universe
- Showing the Obama-Clinton Divide in Decision Tree Infographic
- 10 Largest Data Breaches Since 2000 - Millions Affected
- Ebb and Flow of Box Office Receipts Over Past 20 Years
- 21 Ways to Visualize and Explore Your Email Inbox
- Chart of the Day: A Breakdown of Facebook Applications
- Love, Hate, Think, Believe, Feel and Wish on Twitter
- 6 Influential Datasets That Changed the Way We Think
- Watching the Growth of Walmart Across America, Interactive Edition
- Data Visualization Blogs You Might Not Know About
Dive Into the Archives
Lately, I've been having fun with some of my own one-day projects. Many of you saw the spread of Walmart. If you liked that one, you might also like watching the goals on 43things and my own rendition of twittervision - Twitter World.
The FlowingData forums are also brand new, so make sure you drop by there to say hello. If you have questions about visualization or data or you've found something ridiculously awesome and you want to share it with us, by all means, post it to the forums.
Lastly, we have a mini summer project going on -- collect data, visualize, and win an Amazon gift certificate.
A Little About the Author
You can find some details about me here, but in a nutshell, I'm Nathan, a UCLA PhD candidate in statistics, and as you might have guessed, I love playing with data -- visually. I also really like to cook and eat, my favorite color is green, I've been married for a few months over a year, and my cat's name is Miles.
If you want to get in touch, the best way is email, but you can also find me on Twitter, del.icio.us, and more recently, Digg. If you want to suggest topics, which I really really like, the best place is via del.icio.us, but email is fine too.
Ok, enough about me. What's your name? What are you interested in? What're you expecting out of FlowingData? What do you prefer - chicken or beef? Please do introduce yourself in the comments and if you like, your Twitter name so we can all get to know each other a little better.
Welcome to FlowingData!
If you haven't already, don't forget to subscribe to the feed to make sure you get all the week-daily updates right away.