A Day in the Life: Work and Home
People’s workdays tend to follow similar patterns. You wake up in the morning, get ready for the day, go to work for eight hours or so, and then go home. There are breaks in between. The 9 to 5, basically.
However, everyone’s day varies at least a little bit from everyone else’s. And, if you compare across different types of jobs, you start to see varying schedules. Some people work from home. Some work on the road. Some tend go to work earlier than others. Some work at night.
The animation below shows a simulated day for employed Americans in various occupations. It’s based on five years of data, 2011 to 2015, from the American Time Use Survey. Each dot represents a person moving between home and sleeping, work, and anywhere else. Dots turn non-gray when respondents work. Dots turn gray when they don’t work.
You might notice the percentages for each occupation never reach the full 100 percent. This is because not everyone in a given occupation category are ever working all at the same time. Also, the simulation includes people who were employed but for whatever reason didn’t work the day they were surveyed.
I used a variant of this tutorial to make this chart.
- I used data from the American Time Use Survey, which is much easier to download using the American Time Use Survey Extract Builder maintained by the Minnesota Population Center at the University Minnesota.
- For sleeping, the ATUS keeps a person’s place private, which is why I combined states of being at home and sleep.
- “Somewhere else” includes traveling.
- See IPUMS for more details on each job category.
Become a member. Support an independent site. Make great charts.Join Now
Learn the process of making, designing, and exploring data graphics. Your support goes directly to FlowingData, an independently run site.
What You Get
- Instant access to tutorials on how to make and design data graphics
- Source code and files to use with your own data
- In-depth courses on how to make great charts
- Hand-picked links to tools and resources
- Members-only newsletter
19 Maps That Will Blow Your Mind and Change the Way You See the World. Top All-time. You Won’t Believe Your Eyes. Watch.
Many lists of maps promise to change the way you see the world, but this one actually does.
How We Spend Our Money, a Breakdown
We know spending changes when you have more money. Here’s by how much.
Famous Movie Quotes as Charts
In celebration of their 100-year anniversary, the American Film Institute …