Marital Status by Age
As you switch between female and male in the chart below, you see a significant shift in the later years, which has all to do with men getting married later in life and women living longer.
The contrast between female is especially interesting when you look at marriage by itself. Of the men who live past their 50s, a much higher percentage of them are married. The chart slopes up for men, whereas the chart for women slopes down around that time as husbands die and wives become widows.
Back to the beginning. Here’s when people get married.
Become a member.
Get unlimited access to tutorials, courses, and practical guides. Make great charts.
This is for people interested in the process of creating, designing, and exploring data graphics. Your support goes directly to FlowingData, an independently run site.
What You Get
- Learn to make any chart with instant access to step-by-step tutorials.
- Download source code and files to use with your own data.
- In-depth courses on visualization to learn at your own pace.
- Stay up-to-date with additional resources and visualization tools.
- Get the members-only newsletter.
A Day in the Life: Women and Men
Using the past couple of years of data from the American Time Use Survey, I simulated a working day for men and women to see how schedules differ. Watch it play out in this animation.
Unemployment in America, Mapped Over Time
Watch the regional changes across the country from 1990 to 2016.