All the National Food Days
Once I paid attention, it started to feel like there were a whole lot of national food and drink days in the United States. National Chili Dog Day. National Donut Day. National Beer Day. I’m totally for this, as I will accept any excuse to consume any of these items. But still, there seems to be a lot.
According to this list, 214 days of the year are a food or drink day. Every single day of July was one. How is one to keep track? I gotta plan, you know?
So here are all the days in calendar form. Today, August 18, is National Pinot Noir Day. Tomorrow is National Potato Day.
Hold on to your britches next week. Every single day has you covered, and they’re all desserts.
- Some calendar days have more than one claiming food or drink item, which makes for a list of 302 items. I only showed the first, out of convenience.
- Some food items can cover multiple categories. In these cases, I just went with my gut.
- I made this with d3.js and a little bit of R. This calendar example by Kathy Zhou got me most of the way there.
Become a member. Support an independent site. Make great charts.Join Now
Learn the process of making, designing, and exploring data graphics. Your support goes directly to FlowingData, an independently run site.
What You Get
- Instant access to tutorials on how to make and design data graphics
- Source code and files to use with your own data
- In-depth courses on how to make great charts
- Hand-picked links to tools and resources
- Members-only newsletter
Shifting Incomes for American Jobs
For various occupations, the difference between the person who makes the most and the one who makes the least can be significant.
Where Bars Outnumber Grocery Stores
A closer look at the age old question of where there are more bars than grocery stores, and vice versa.
A Day in the Life: Women and Men
Using the past couple of years of data from the American Time Use Survey, I simulated a working day for men and women to see how schedules differ. Watch it play out in this animation.