History of Earth in 24-hour clock

Posted to Infographics  |  Tags: , ,  |  Nathan Yau

I'm not sure where this is originally from, but I found it on an intro to geology course page. What happens when midnight comes around again?

28 Comments

• The only thing that bothers me is why this is a 24h clock… . ;)

• So that it can be set to the tune of “Two minutes to midnight” by Iron Maiden.

• Because it uses 24 hours to get from the origin of the Earth to now. Midnight to noon is 12 hours, and noon to midnight is another twelve. Look closer – the labels go from 0 to 12, then 0 to 12 again.

• Good point – it would have been easier to comprehend if it used “Zulu time”, e.g. single celled algae would be at 14:08

• Zulu is just GMT. It is a time zone, not a format of time. Not trying to be a dick, just informative. :-)

• True a 24 hour clock should be in “World Time” or as we call it in the US “Military Time”

• Who knows? We’ll probably never make it past 12:15 AM anyway. And I think I’m being awfully generous in that assessment.

• And if they insist on making it a 24hour clock why do the labels show 12 hour notation? They don’t even include an am/pm indicator.

• Original concept is Carl Sagan’s Cosmic Calendar. But the Tree Of Life (http://evogeneao.com/tree.html) is my favorite take on insignificance of humans in time.

• We will find out what happens at midnight come 12.21.2012

• Midnight is NOW. So if the earth began 24 hrs ago, we have been here for 1m 17s. At least as of the day the illustration was created

• Thank you so much for getting this. The diagram was fascinating, but then I couldn’t believe the author’s mistake when I read “What happens when midnight comes around again?”

Among all the comments that missed it, thank you for being the only one to realize that midnight is the present.

• These fossils at 5:36am what where they of if the first single cell algae started at 2:08pm? I am guessing bacteria or similar. Took a while to get from bacteria to algae no? Mind blowing stuff.

• Joshua Muskovitz October 9, 2012 at 9:57 am

There’s definitely nitpicking to be had (@NickP points out the 24 hour vs am/pm notation discrepancy), and I would ask why the clock has hands**, but overall I have to say that it packs a lot of useful information into a small space. Certainly I am unable to come up with a better way to represent this information.

**This is a silly point, since without the hands, the entire “clock” metaphor falls apart.

• The second day is just like the first day except that kids eat free at Perkins.

• Matt Murdock October 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Dr. William “Bill” Schopf of UCLA (Earth and Space Sciences) came up with this clock concept as a graduate student in the 60’s. I think he still teaches at UCLA, you should go ask him about it!

• Charles Zelnick October 9, 2012 at 7:06 pm

compare to the Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists: http://www.thebulletin.org/content/doomsday-clock/timeline

• True that @Joel Goldstick and that is where I have a question. We have been here for 1m and 17s = 77seconds. That is 77seconds of 86400 seconds in 24 hours. This is around 0.089%. If the earth age is 4.5 billion then earliest humans should be around 4 millions years. I looked up and earliest earliest human fossils were found 2.5million years.

If only this info-graphic has told me 24hours = how many years?

• The Singularity is at midnight, after that, we go in reverse.

• Tandar of the Bordrillian Galaxy October 10, 2012 at 10:48 am

Whoa…I thought God created Earth (oh…and everything else in the time-space continuum) only about 6,000 years ago. The History of Earth Clock seems to imply that Earth has been around a lot longer. This is all so confusing.

• Chlixilplxchtth the Destructor October 11, 2012 at 12:10 am

Don’t tell me – midnight on this clock is Dec 12, 2012?

• Andrew Searles October 15, 2012 at 6:39 am

I’m sorry but this infographic could have been better server is a different format. I’m really not a fan of this clock. First it’s confusing because it’s a 24 hour clock but the times are given in military time e.g. Sexual Reproduction is at 16:08. Also a clock implies that we’re going to be starting the whole process again. Is that what you’re suggesting? I say a good old-fashioned timeline would be better servered here.

• my god are you all thick. its the age of the earth represented as one day. there is no tomorrow in it, 12 midnight is now!!!!!!!

• if humans life latest one more hour, the earth will be destroyed!

Favorites

Where People Run in Major Cities

There are many exercise apps that allow you to keep track of your running, riding, and other activities. Record speed, …

Watching the growth of Walmart – now with 100% more Sam’s Club

The ever so popular Walmart growth map gets an update, and yes, it still looks like a wildfire. Sam’s Club follows soon after, although not nearly as vigorously.

Interactive: When Do Americans Leave For Work?

We don’t all start our work days at the same time, despite what morning rush hour might have you think.

Think Like a Statistician – Without the Math

I call myself a statistician, because, well, I’m a statistics graduate student. However, the most important things I’ve learned are less formal, but have proven extremely useful when working/playing with data.